Monday, August 27, 2012

7 months in LA: On Maturity, Friendships and Inconspicuous Beauty

7 months in LA: On Maturity, Friendships and Inconspicuous beauty

My days in the golden state are numbered: seven days to be exact. After some time living in New York, I returned to Los Angeles past February in hopes for renewal of friendships, career opportunities and the chance to relive the cherished memories as a bachelor in the entertainment capital of the world. I have proudly reached the first objective reconnecting with close friends like John, Jennifer and others, but in dismay, I did not achieve the latter. Entry to promising careers were scarce. More importantly, I learned that some memories cannot be relived and remade.

Life in LA as I remembered it, was eventful, care-free, exhilarating, and replete with pleasant surprises--unlike the five years in the Marines. While in New York, I dreamed of coming back and living as if I were 23 again. Except only--after much contemplation in the last seven months--I am no longer 23. I have grown not only in physical age but in mind, in spirit and in overall maturity. What thrilled me years ago bores me today, and at the same token, what I valued years ago became trivial to me today. My excitement to live here was quickly deflated. Hence, I learned that I had to take this opportunity in Philly; after all, leaving my comfort zone was always my preferred way to grow.

This is not to say that I did not enjoy my time in LA; I cherished every moment of it, particularly the time spent with close friends. Despite the residential brevity, I was reminded me that friends are not just social creatures whose lives has crossed yours just so you would have a partner in beer pong or to drink with.They are truly more than that. 2012 was a difficult year for me as for many unemployed college grads but it was my friends who provided the support, the comfort and their joyous company I needed to persevere. For those who know, I was rejected from Harvard grad school this year; I was disenchanted, devastated and lost. After hearing of my disappointment, my closest female confidant Jennifer rushed over after work with an edible souvenir and offered to go grocery shopping together. Something as simple as a fruit and her immediate company exemplifies what true friendship is. To say the least, she was alongside during each of my predicaments this year, and I cannot thank her enough. Who said guys and girls cannot be good friends?

In Los Angeles, beauty is omnipresent. Satisfying all the aesthetic senses are the palm trees, the trustworthy sun, the stunning beaches and the chiseled faces and bodies of Hollywood celebrities. However, these beauties are superficial. They appeal only to the human eye and do no grace to the human soul. Just like In my travels, I enjoy discovering and redefining beauty--whether it be a person, object, environment or deed--what many do not deem beautiful or even notice. In my second time living in Los Angeles, I discovered inconspicuous beauty and it is the people of Monday Night Mission.

Monday Night Mission is a group of selfless citizens of Los Angeles area from different walks of life coming together to serve our city's street-residents. Because it is not a registered non-profit, there is absolutely no formal recognition or any alternate motives by the volunteers: no tax write-offs, no letter of recommendations, no scholarships. Just ordinary people contributing extraordinarily out of their own pockets and kitchens to the community's most forgotten and needy. I am also heartfelt by the level of commitment contributed by the regulars. The main organizer Mel and the supporting organizers like Abraham and Michelle are there five nights a week, 52 weeks a year. The time, energy and funds offered by the organizers and the volunteers of MNM to care for strangers are acts of superheroes, deeds which popular culture do not write about in comics nor movies. And for that, I am inspired, grateful and perhaps optimistic that there exist still some bona fide people in today's Darwinist society.





Monday Night Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment